Sunday, February 12, 2012

Water, water everywhere.

One of the things my clients love about me is that I actually explain what I'm doing and why I do it. I also explain the advice I give for home care. Nine times out of ten I hear "I've never had it explained to me like that before and it finally makes sense!" That tenth time I chalk up to what I like to call "the massage haze" in which you are unable to respond coherently to any question asked of you, but simply smile and nod instead.

Show of hands: How many of you have ever been told by a massage therapist to "be sure to drink a lot of water."? *counting* That's what I thought. You can put your hands down now.

How much is "a lot" and why is it important, you ask? There are SO many reasons why drinking water is vital for health and wellness, especially after a massage, and more reasons are emerging all the time.
I suggest drinking at least 6-8 glasses immediately following the massage until bedtime. When you think you've had enough, drink another glass. If you go out for a night on the town, for every alcoholic drink you have, drink two glasses of water. If you drink a soda, drink two glasses of water. (You get the picture)

As to the question of why it's important, I have a few favorite answers:


1) Around every individual muscle fiber and every muscle body is a net-like structure called FASCIA. It is a continuous structure, spanning from the top of your head to the bottoms of your feet, and everywhere in between, and it comes in many different layers from the surface to the core. (Click on the link to learn more.) It can become extremely dehydrated and brittle if it does not have the water it needs to stay supple and malleable. When you get a massage, especially if your therapist incorporates Myo-Fascial Release (*ahem* I do. Just saying.) into the session, the fascia gets stretched and allows for fluid to sink in and keep it mobile. If you don't drink water after the session, you just paid for a very short-term relaxation.

Those "knots" you feel and ask your therapist to work out could be a couple of things: a build-up of lactic acid or adhesions--spots where muscles and/or fascia can become "glued" to each other or other things. When knots are "released" it is essential that you drink more water than usual to ensure that they don't build up again.

In the case of a lactic acid build-up, water helps to flush it out of the system. In the case of adhesions, massage essentially re-lubricates the tissues by introducing fluids that need to come from somewhere--which is why you need to replenish your system to continue to provide this fluid. (It's the same concept as keeping oil in your car. If you don't keep the engine tuned, it starts breaking down one piece at a time.)

2) *My favorite analogy, which is what elicits the response above--this is what I try to tell every client, so that no one walks out of a session with me without having learned something*

"The best thing massage does is not to maniuplate the muscles themselves, but to create space between the muscles so they have room in which to relax. The more water you can drink, especially in the days immediately following the massage, the longer those passageways will stay open and the longer the benefits of the massage will last." This also gives your body a chance to get used to how it feels to be relaxed and hydrated, and it will like how it feels. The body wants to be healthy and running smoothly, so all it takes is a little encouragement.

If you have any questions or comments, please add them in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment